Category Archives: Projects

More puppet progress…

image

image

image

image

Project of the day: More puppets!

image

The mouths are ready to install

Project of the day: puppet heads

Here’s a small chorus* of puppet heads ready for mouth installation.

image

* a chorus is a group or pack of puppets or muppets

Past Projects: Center steer bike

This bike is my version of a center-steer, negative-trail “Python” recumbent bike that I built around 5 years ago. It was my first welding project and my first bike. This style of bike is supposed to be unrideable. This isn’t the case in reality; it’s just difficult and takes practice.

For me, it was more of a proof of concept, rather than something to ride seriously. The frame is in my garage attic and most of the components have found homes in other projects.

Past project: light bulb terrarium

Here’s one of a series of light-bulb terrariums I did a little while back. They’re filled with stones, small ferns, and moss. The ends are capped with bees wax. The stand is copper wire that I bent and hammered to make leaf shapes. The wires were then wrapped and soldered together.

image

Bike project: 1978ish Huffy Sea Pines

Here’s a 70′s vintage ladies Huffy “Sea Pines” 3-speed I picked up for cheap. It’s slated to be a birthday present for my mom (so don’t mention it to her until after the end of the month, please!). It needed refurbishment badly. After¬†disassembly, cleaning, rust removal, polishing, and a few new parts, it looks very good and runs at least as good as new.

image

More photos and stuff after the jump!

Read more »

Past projects: N-scale buildings

Made these N-Scale buildings as a test for a larger train set project. I plan on creating a very small bookshelf-sized set based on the Studio Ghibli film Kiki’s Delivery Service. These houses appear briefly in the film and are small enough to use as a test.

They are made of polymer clay. I figured out how to make both clear and translucent windows with proper mullions by printing out the pattern that I wanted on a laser printer and then adding a drop of clear Sculpy liquid. Once baked, the paper will slough off with a little rubbing under water, leaving the ink behind.

All of the details are done with a small pick and include a dove with nest and eggs, ivy, and various window boxes with plants and flowers. These were done around 4 years ago and is part of a much longer-term project.

image

Past projects: solar guitar amp and radio

This is a guitar amp/radio that I upcycled out of an old boombox and some surplus electronics parts. The amp is based on a simple LM386 amplifier IC. It’s solar powered, but could use one or two more solar cells. When clouds come over the sound gets crunchy and distorted. Nonetheless, it’s fun to play with.

I made the case by hand out of cherry and steam-bent the sides. Above the speaker grille, I carved a Japanese frog. ¬†I doubt that I’ll be doing any more carving as I didn’t enjoy it. The input and the knobs are from a guitar parts dealer on Ebay. As usual, the finish is rubbed oil and wax.

image

Past project: cigar box ukulele

 

I made this ukulele out of a kit from Grizzly tools, but swapped out the body for a nice cigar box. The top is solid Spanish cedar. The neck is mahogany. The box still opens and will fit a flask of your favorite drink handily. It’s finished with oil and wax. I’d like to pick up some nicer tuners at some point, but as-is it has a sweet sound and stays in tune well enough.

image

Past projects: apple wood shaker

Here’s a shaker I made for K. There was an apple tree that she was especially fond of that had a large branch come down in a storm. I hollowed out a smaller diameter piece of the branch and filled it partially with bb’s. The finish is hand rubbed oil and wax. It has a nice heft to it and feels silky.

I have more of this wood, but need to figure out the least wasteful way to cut it into small boards before it can be used for more projects.

image