So the old tandem frame is just too short. The front rider has to be waaaay too far forward to keep the rear rider’s knees from whapping the front seat. I knew that it might be the case, but it was faster just to try it out than to do a bunch of measurement. The downside is that I’ve decided to put off any more work until spring. It would be major surgery to alter the frame and ultimately not worth it. I could build a properly-sized frame with new metal in less time than fixing the old one. I did get the seats completed, and I’m very happy with the results (I’ll post photos), so I think my time hasn’t been wasted.
Category Archives: Projects
Harvested apples, peaches, and pears from our growing orchard this autumn. Given, there were only a few fruits, but the peaches were delicious.
Found a great tutorial on line for slung recumbent bike seats. Here are the frames. I have their fabric installed on one and will post photos once they both are complete.
My friend Stacy is having a baby soon, so I figured a hippie quilt was in order (Gotta start ‘em early!). The top is cool cotton batik and the back is mint green cotton flannel. It took me about a days-worth of on-and-off work. I’m quite pleased with the outcome. There will probably be more quilts this winter .
Got the seat frames welded up. They just need the welds ground, brackets fabricated and attached, and covers made.
Got my seat frames cut out today, but still need a little more metal. Need to finish the seat mounting brackets and pick up some new drill bits, but things are moving along nicely.
My dad trash-picked me an old tandem bike. It would need a lot of work to make it safe to ride. Upright bikes have been causing me back pain and arm numbness, so I decided to convert it into a recumbent.
The frame is taking shape. I need to make seats, seat brackets, front crank boom, and various bits and cabling. Dad also donated his old 3-speed for brakes, hub, and other minutiae.
I’m happy with a good start. I’ll post updates as work progresses. It may be a little while as my big yearly job has arrived.
I picked up this spring jacket at a vintage clothing shop in Cleveland for a reasonably good price because the lining was stained and torn. I thought it would look good to replace the lining with a nice brocade fabric. It does :)
Unfortunately, the new lining doesn’t photograph well. I may try again and repost at some point.
Replaced two layers of icky icky old fabric Friday afternoon. New stuff was on sale at JoAnne’s.