Category Archives: Sewing

Autumn project: recycled corduroy quilt

Corduroy quilt with flannel shorting lining.

Corduroy quilt with flannel shirting lining.

Catching up on projects after a ton of life explosions. First up: Autumnal Quilt!

Made myself a giant new quilt from a ton of thrift store, wide-wale corduroy pants. The lining is flannel shirting which is softer than ordinary blanket flannel. It’s my favorite blanket ever. It weighs a ton, moderates temperature perfectly, and is extra-snuggly.

Finished coat project

After two years of planning and a couple of months of sewing, the full -length, merino wool and velvet coat is complete. It turned out quite well, and will likely be my last coat project for while. I’m pretty burned out on sewing. The next sewing project will probably be some bicycle bags and panniers. Hopefully, I can get back in the mood enough to finish them before cycling season arrives.

image

image

Coat project progress

The coat is moving along. Sleeves are installed. Lining and buttons to go!

image

Project of the… Uhh… Two years? Wool coat

 

I’ve¬†finally¬†started work on a wool coat for which I’ve had the materials around two years! I’ve been at it for around two weeks on and off. It needs sleeves, lining, buttons, and some finishing touches. It should be complete in a couple more weeks, all things being equal. Hopefully there will still be cold weather for it to be worn in!

image

Family portrait!

Here’s a family portrait of all the puppets that I’ve made over the last several years. Thought I’d get a photo in before a couple leave at Christmas.

image

Christmas carrot plush thingie

My little niece wanted one of these sewn up. Who am I to say no?

image

More puppet progress…

image

image

image

image

Project of the day: More puppets!

image

The mouths are ready to install

Project of the day: puppet heads

Here’s a small chorus* of puppet heads ready for mouth installation.

image

* a chorus is a group or pack of puppets or muppets

Project of the day: buttonhole attachment

I had several left over Christmas projects that required buttonholes. Unfortunately, the old 1950′s Singer One Touch died last weekend after three holes. It stripped the gears which would cost around $300 to repair. It just isn’t worth fixing.

So after much rumination and web scrounging, I discovered that there were buttonhole attachments made in the 50′s-70′s that supposedly would work on my straight stitch machine, although my local repair place said it wouldn’t. My understanding is that my machine is too fast and needs an industrial attachment, but the home version works great if you’re careful to go slow.

I found a new-old-stock attachment on Ebay. It’s a Greist #10. It does in fact, work, and is identical to the old Singer attachment except for the outer case. The cams are interchangeable, which is great. I have a nice selection from the Singer, but would like to find the eyelet size cam. The following are photos of the original box it came in, the cams and feed dog cover, and a side-by-side with the Singer attachment. There’s also a video of it in action!

The original box:
image

image

Inside the box with original instruction booklet:
image

Singer and Greist attachments side-by-side:
image

image

Cams and foot plates and carnivorous plants:
image

And the video: